The best kind of weekends

By Lucie Aubry - December 11, 2015



When things get a bit tough for me and my family, when life isn't really kind to us, we usually go out of the city for the weekend, and visit my grandparents. That's the only way we actually manage to disconnect, and take a breath.

I'm lucky enough to still have my four grandparents to turn to when I need to, and they've been my escape for everything ever since I've been old enough to have problems. Everything seems so simple when I'm with them, everything's easy, we just spend time together, eat good food, and take time for ourselves... And I think that's not something I really know how to do on my own.

Last weekend was what we call in France and Belgium 'La Saint Nicolas', and I don't know the whole story but I think it's a kind of pre-Christmas,except that presents are placed in front of the fireplace, instead of under the Christmas tree.

And when you open your gifts, you usually get chocolate, and pajamas. This year was a bit different and I had the comfiest bath robe instead of night wear, which was just perfect as it's starting to get cold again here in Paris.


This is my grandmother's infamous apple pie, and I can tell you guys, nothing makes me as happy as waking up on a Sunday morning to the smell of it!


The chocolate shop had all those super cute Saint Nicolas/Christmas treasures and I just wanted to eat it all in one go!

 



 
If you guys ever go to Belgium, you HAVE to stop at 'Les Pralines de Chimay', they have some of the best chocolate, and a lot less expensive than the one you can find in France (which is never as good anyway!)


My granddad makes his own little baguettes and THEY ARE SO GOOD! He's always so proud as well, it's the cutest thing ever!

 
And because we always make an effort to make complete home-made meals, I decided to try and make a pecan pie and OH MY GOD, it tasted A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments