Grapefruit and lime cake

By The French Pier - January 11, 2016



Hi guys! So I know a lot of you asked for the recipes on my last blog post and I swear I will post them, I am working on them right now, but I have another one for you right now! My father and I decided to cook on Sunday, and we definitely took our time about it! 

I’m usually the kind of person who just enjoys baking simple thing, and preferably cake and biscuits that involve chocolate, and that’s exactly why I decided to try something new this time! This cake is FAR from being complicated to make, it just takes a bit of time, but nothing to consuming, don’t worry about that! 

I was honestly so pleased with the result, it looked so good and tasted even better, and that made me want to go out of my comfort zone more when it comes to cooking/baking!
So here’s the recipe, I really hope you enjoy this as much as I did!


Ingredients for 8 servings:


 For the sponge cake:
  • 110g grounded almond
  • 70g cornstarch
  • 3g yeast
  • 4 big eggs
  • 25g water
  • 50g unsalted butter
  • 110g granulated sugar

For the grapefruit cream
  • 15cL grapefruit juice
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 6g gelatin
  • 30g cornstarch
  • 3 big eggs
  • 5cL water
  • 40g unsalted butter
  • 130g granulated sugar

For the Panna Cota
  • 8g gelatin
  • 5cL milk
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 40cL single cream
  • 80g granulated sugar

   

 Instructions: 




For the sponge cake:
  • Preheat your oven to 180°C (360°F)
  • In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar (110g), the ground almond (110g), et the water (25g).
  • Add the eggs one by one (4) then the melted butter to the mixture.
  • Mix together the cornstarch (70g) and the yeast then add in your mixture.
  • Pour the final mixture into a round pan (preferably in a 20cm diameter round pan) then put in the oven and let it in for 25 minutes.

For the grapefruit cream:
  • Damp the gelatin (6g) in a bowl of cold water.
  • In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs (3) and the sugar (130g).
  • Mix together well the cornstarch (30g) with 5cL of water. Then add it to the eggs and sugar mixture and add the lemon juice and grapefruit juice.
  • Heat the mixture into a saucepan until it thickens into a cream consistence.
  • Take the saucepan out of the fire and add the mangled gelatin then the butter cut into small chunks into the lukewarm cream.
  • Pour the cream over the cold sponge cake, and let it seat into the fridge until it hardens.

For the Panna Cotta:
  • Damp the gelatin (8g) into a bowl of cold water for 15 minutes.
  • In a saucepan, mix the single cream (40 cL), the milk (5cL) and the sugar (80g)
  • Heat it up and bring it to a low boil.
  • Mangle the gelatin, then place it into the hot cream et mix to incorporate it into the mixture.
  • Add in the lime juice (1 tbsp)
  • Pour over the grapefruit cream and let it cool down for at least 3 hours in the fridge.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Hi! Found you on Tumblr, but I really like your blog here too :) The cake looks sooo pretty, but I'm not gonna lie the recipe and ingredients themselves look a little intimidating haha. I'll have to actually try it out though, it looks really good!

    Sam | http://mybeautycloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for checking this blog out, it means a lot and thank you for commenting as well! I know this looks really intimidating and I'm definitely one of those people that just doesn't EVER give this kind of recipes a try but I decided to make an exception and didn't regret it at all! I'm not going to lie, it's a bit longer than making like a regular chocolate cake or something, but aside from being a bit long, it's really not complicated!
      Anyway, I hope you have a great day and thanks again for leaving this comment! xx

      Delete
  2. Hello! That cakes looks delicious! i'll probably try that out soon! Thanks for sharing it!
    Would you like to support each other on GFC? Let me know! xx

    http://meiontheroad.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much for checking my blog out and leaving a comment! I really hipe it turns out good and that you enjoy making it ;) I'm sorry if I sound totally ignorant but what is GFC ? xx

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of such a cake but it sounds amazing, would love to try this recipe out! xx

    www.adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! Have a good day! :)

      Delete
  4. This cake looks really great! I've always thought of grapefruit as quite bitter, is the cake really sweet or is it a bit bitter too? I love your blog xx

    louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You can definitely taste the bitterness of the grapefruit in it, but as there's also quite a bit of sugar, it really does balance the overall taste and it's just delicious! I never eat grapefruit like on its own because I find it too bitter, too, but I really liked this cake, so I'd say the bitterness isn't a problem ;)

      Delete